Taiwanese fried chicken is one of the most popular street food in Taiwan. A lot of people love to eat it for the last night’s supper. It is the perfect combination of fried chicken and basil for a more fragrant taste. You should try out this flavorful fried chicken. Just follow this recipe step-by-step to make super popular street food.
YIELD: For 2~3 people | TIME: 1 hour
- Chicken breast 500 g (or you can use boneless chicken thighs)
- Two tablespoons rice wine
- Tapioca Starch (or Potato Starch, for cover chicken cubes)
- Two tablespoons granulated sugar
- Two tablespoons thick soy sauce
- One teaspoon five-spice powder
- 4~5 cloves of garlic
- Pepper powder (optional)
- A few fresh basil leaves (optional)
Tools & Equipment
1. Cut chicken breast into about 1-inch cubes and chop garlic, and put in a bowl.
2. Add 2 tbsp rice wine, 2 tbsp granulated sugar, 2 tbsp thick soy sauce, 1 tbsp five-spice powder, and some pepper powder in the bowl. Mix all together and cover the chicken cubes. Let it marinate for 30 minutes.
3. After 30 minutes, drain chicken cubes from the marinade.
4. Preheat the air fryer to 180°C (360°F)
5. Cover them with potato starch and brush with vegetable oil.
6. Place them in the fry basket and insert them into the air fryer. Cook it for 8 minutes.
7. After 8 minutes, open the basket and flip the chicken. Continue to cook for 8 minutes.
8. Open again, place basil in the basket and continue to cook for 2 minutes.
9. Serve the Taiwanese Fried chicken.
Finish and enjoy