Taiwanese Fried Chicken (Popcorn chicken)
Taiwanese fried chicken is one of the most popular street food in Taiwan. A lot of people love to eat it for the last night's supper. It is the perfect combination of fried chicken and basil for a more fragrant taste. You should try out this flavorful fried chicken. Just follow this recipe step-by-step to make super popular street food.
- Air Fryer
- Oil Brush
- 500 g chicken breast (or you can use boneless chicken thighs)
- 2 tablespoons rice wine
- Tapioca Starch (or Potato Starch, for cover chicken cubes)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons thick soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 5 cloves garlic
- Pepper powder (optional)
- A few fresh basil leaves (optional)
- Cut chicken breast into about 1-inch cubes and chop garlic, and put in a bowl.
- Add 2 tbsp rice wine, 2 tbsp granulated sugar, 2 tbsp thick soy sauce, 1 tbsp five-spice powder, and some pepper powder in the bowl. Mix all together and cover the chicken cubes. Let it marinate for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, drain chicken cubes from the marinade.
- Preheat the air fryer to 180°C (360°F)
- Cover them with potato starch and brush with vegetable oil.
- Place them in the fry basket and insert them into the air fryer. Cook it for 8 minutes.
- After 8 minutes, open the basket and flip the chicken. Continue to cook for 8 minutes.
- Open again, place basil in the basket and continue to cook for 2 minutes.
- Serve the Taiwanese Fried chicken. Finish and enjoy