Yolk pastry is one kind of taiwanese traditional mooncakes. People like to eat at the Mid-Autumn Festival. Mooncakes are offered between friends and family gatherings while celebrating the festival.
Ingredients(12 Yolk Pastries)
- Red bean paste – 360 g
- Salted egg yolks – 12
- Rice wine(Chinese cooking wine) – a shot
- Shortcrust pastry dough
- All purpose flour(Plain flour) – 120 g
- Clarified Butter – 45 g
- Sugar – 20 g
- Water – 60 c.c.
- Puff pastry dough
- Cake flour(Low Protein Flour)– 120 g
- Clarified Butter – 60 g
- Egg wash – 1 egg yolk plus 1 teaspoon of water(add a little bit of soy sauce to add color)
Tools & Equipment
- Preheat the oven to 300°F(150°C). Use rice wine to spray or brush the salted egg yolks. Place them on a baking pan with aluminum foil, bake for 5~10 minutes, place aside.
- Divide the red bean paste into 12 balls, wrap the red bean paste on the outside of the egg yolks.
- Make the shortcrust pastry dough – Blend all the shortcrust pastry dough ingredients together. Knead them for 3~4 mins into a smooth dough and cover. Let it rise for 30~40 mins.
- Make the puff pastry dough – Mix all the puff pastry dough ingredients together. Knead them into 12 balls and cover with plastic wrap. (Note: DO NOT over mix this dough. And you can refrigerate it until you need to use them.)
- Place the puff pastry dough on the shortcrust pastry dough, roll flat. Wrap the puff pastry dough inside shortcrust pastry dough, knead them into small balls.
- Roll out the dough balls into elongated round pieces, set aside to rise for 10~15 mins.
- Repeat. roll out with dough again, set aside to rise for 10~15 mins.
- Roll the dough flat, put the red bean paste with salted egg yolk inside the dough. Wrap them into small balls and place them in the pan with aluminum foil. Brush the pastry with blended egg yolk, sprinkle some sesame seeds on top before the egg wash dries.
- Preheat the oven to 340°F(170°C), bake for 20 mins, remove.
Finish and enjoy your time.